Sunday 29 December 2013

Prussian Foot Artillery 2

I hope everyone had a great Christmas, my own was spent working, however I did have a nice boxing day meal with my family after my shift and had a couple of nice days lately with Mai save me being loaded with the cold. This year we chose not to give presents and cards as we have other avenues for our hard end and I know our family and friends understand.
     
Nothing special to post this time round just finished off an additional Prussian foot battery. I finished 1 in May and this is the 2nd in different positions. I had to make sure to keep the painting style the same as I planned to mix them together a bit.
     
The crew positions will no doubt be totally wrong as I again could not find a source that showed where the crew members stood when firing/loading. Also I picked up a good amount of the crew figures in penny pockets from different lots and deals over the years so they are not all 100% part of a specific crew set.
 Darren, some of these figures will be yours buddy so it will no doubt be good to see them painted up ready for action.
   
 I believe this will be the last Prussian foot battery I paint as I now have 3 (1xOG, 2xAB). I may add a set of 12lb guns to 1 of these and use their guns on a horse battery that is close to being finished? 

Anyway it was a really nice feeling to get them finished off as the guns were a pain to paint. 
    
An interesting little side project Craig and I are planning.
 I'll post more pics when things start to happen!

News from the Philippines: Nothing really positive has happened in Tacloban city so life is still tough for everyone however as well as getting money over we also managed to get 30 kilos of dried foods, meds and chocolates to our family just before Christmas through a friend who was flying into Manila and very kindly gave us some baggage space! Mai's friend picked up the bag at the airport and took it to Tacloban. This meant the kids in the neighbourhood at least had some treats for Christmas. We have also been sending out letters to food companies and pharmacy suppliers hoping for donations of dried goods, high energy food, medicines (basically anything that will be useful) as we are sending a huge box by container to the family and neighbourhood in January. Thankfully we have already had some donations of shortbread, chocolate and have dried goods to collect from a Chinese cash and carry. I'll  post an update when I have more info.

Also thanks Malc for sending up a very heavy box of figures for myself and brother, there was a lot of useful figures in the box Malc and anything we don't use we will pop on ebay and send the proceeds over to Philippines so thanks a million!!!

Happy wargaming to everyone, probably see you in the New Year . . .
Best regards
Paul


22 comments:

GaryA said...

Very nicely finished units as ever Paul.

Glad to see the Philippines haven't been forgotten. Chris gets updates from Philippino nursing and care staff she meets - it still seems a long way to go. Good luck to you and yours.

Paulalba said...

Hi Gary,
Thanks on both counts. Re our family and their city, unfortunately its going to take a long time to rebuild and I can't see us getting government help sadly. I have been holding off posting an update as there isn't much positive in the city to be honest. traders have hiked the prices sky high for food/essentials. We will see.

Jonathan Freitag said...

Appreciate the update on your family in the Philipines. Especially good to hear that the kids had something for Christmas to divert their attention (albeit briefly) from their situation.

As always, your Prussian guns and crew are spectacular!

DeanM said...

Great looking batteries!

Phil said...

They are looking fantastic, as always!! Glad to hear some news about your family...
Best,
Phil.

LittleArmies said...

Hi Paul,
Glad to hear your Christmas parcel got through without too much drama! ou're welcome to the figures - it was quite cathartic purging my Napoleonic lead mountain (although as I went through my painting desk I've found a few more bits I don't need!). I should really do the same for my 15mm ACW collection - there is a huge pile of unpainted OG stuff there.

Glad to see you back in the painting saddle - I think I have some diagrams of gunner placement in one of my references - I'll see if I do and then scan it for you.

Malc

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Super looking batteries Paul!

Christopher

fireymonkeyboy said...

Good work on the guns, and I'm glad to hear your family are holding out okay.

FMB

Ken said...

Superb battery as usual. I glad you are able to get stuff through to your family.

Iowa Grognard said...

Nice work. I can get lost on your blog for hours oogling eye candy and dreaming of future projects.

Paulalba said...

thanks Jonathan, yeah we wanted to lift the spirit of the kids. They are in a bad way, their whole life has been shattered. We have had friends visit them and each picture we see the kids are so sad. Still they are alive and there is 1 house still standing. Hopefully in time things will improve.

Paulalba said...

Thanks Dean!

Paulalba said...

thanks IG, that's very uplifting, Glad you enjoy the blog!

Paulalba said...

thanks Phil, if we could only bring the kids here till things were better in the city!

Paulalba said...

thanks Malc!
The artillery thing sounds very useful. If your looking to shift ACW 15mm my brother David maybe able to help you. That's his main interest. He is doing zuaves at tge moment.

Paulalba said...

Thanks Christopher!

Paulalba said...

thanks FMB!

Paulalba said...

thanks Ken! Yeah its a long round trip but we took the chance when we got it.

Scotsgrey said...

Again inspirational stuff, maybe I'll paint my Belgian horse battery, a conversion from some of your old minifigs!

John (VonBlucher) said...

Paul, As always the figures and guns are excellent.

Good to hear some news and even though it's small in scope, it's still good news. Best of luck on your efforts there.

Sgt Steiner said...

Super as ever.

Gonsalvo said...

Good looking artillery. For some reason, I hate painting guns myself!