Tuesday 3 April 2012

St. Petersburg Grenadiers

Deep breath . . . . . . . . . . . aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!
   
Finally I have completed my 2 battallions of the St. Petersburg grenadier regiment. I have had the figures sitting around finished for a good while now and kept putting off basing them as I based up a big batch of FOW Americans (and also some old space characters for my nephews in the Philippines).
  
I am very happy how the 2 battalions turned out and the Army Painter continues to leave me all warm inside.
  
As always with my Russians a HUGE thank you to a Gentleman in the USA who goes by the handle Suvoroff as he was kind enough to send me the flags he created for his own 1812 Russian army.
  
All the figures are from the AB 1812 Russian range and I really enjoyed painting them. 
    
Only bother I had was gluing the flags in place. I drilled out the hands as usual and attached the flags to straightened paper clips, however when I went to glue them with my trusty super glue (the best glue I have ever found in my years of modelling) the bugger had turned so I hunted for a new tub and thankfully it worked a treat, phew!!!
    
I had a little fun here zooming in to see how close I could go before the dreaded cast lines we try so hard to remove begin to show. This officer is my favourite figure of the whole regiment which is weird as when I 1st seen him in bare metal I wasn't keen on him and here he is leading the 2nd battalion (or should that be 3rd battalion with the 2nd back at the depot or is that just the line regiments?).
   
And here they are altogether, my 1st full AB Russian regiment complete with brigade command.
   
Getting tired now, better get this finished and head off to bed!
  
Probably to many photos but it is my 1st complete AB Russian regiment ;0)
 
More zooming in (far to close!!!).
   
I think the brigadier should have had a dark green plume but I got carried away and promoted him to general.
 
I was trying to decide what to paint next, my 3 options were to complete my Kutuzov command base I have now finished converting, finish a light foot battery or paint up my Pavlov regiment. I was going to take Johns advice and do Kutuzov however I still need troops on the ground and I feel I owe the Pavlov's since I have owned them in 15mm Minifigs plus 25mm Essex (now gone from my possession) and never completed a full battalion.
 
So Pavlov's it is! I actually have around 40 spare Pavlov's that I will paint up and see if I can sell them on ebay to raise some funds. I painted up a test figure and stupidly forgot to take his pic. 
I'm happy how he turned out.

28 comments:

Ben Gilmour said...

Just brilliant, Paul!

Vasiliy Levashov said...

Excellent work, Paul! I look with admiration at the figures, painted with you.

john de terre neuve said...

They look great Paul, I am amazed at how good the AP works on the smaller figures.

John

Robert said...

Great painting, Paul. I can see why you got distracted from your Saxons!

I've also had a lot of assistance from 'Suvoroff' over the years. A very knowledgeable gentleman, and always generous with his information.

Ray Rousell said...

Beautiful painting!!! Top quality!!

John (Von Blucher) said...

Paul,
Another fine unit to add to your growing and well done Russian Army.

You need to hurry amd finish off all the rest of those Russian infantry, so you can get going on those Hussars though!!

John

kingsleypark said...

Great looking figs Paul. Bring on the Pavs!

Phil said...

What can I say? The figures are, as usual, very well painted, the bases are magnificent, and the overall impression extraordinary...a great work!

Dan said...

Wow, these are brilliant.

Ken said...

Excellent work as ever!

Rodger said...

Fantastic painting Paul. Really nice work.

Captain Richard's miniature Civil War said...

Beautiful work, Paul

David Cooke said...

SAome of the nicest 18mm figures I've seen. Thanks.

DaveD said...

excellent job - they look the part alright

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Excellent results with the AP Paul!

Christopher

Fromhold said...

Very nice work!!

1st502strike said...

Paul,

Great job on the St. Petersburg Grenadiers. They look fantastic. Thanks again for the tip on the Army Painter. I'll have to give it a try. Bill

Paulalba said...

Many, many thanks for all the kind and encouraging comments guys they are very much appreciated.

I am also shocked at how well the Army Painter works on 15mm figures.

Very best regards
Paul

Curt said...

Gobsmacking stuff Paul! Love how these all turned out. Bravo.
Curt

Paulalba said...

Thanks Curt, Glad you like them!
Best
Paul

BigRedBat said...

Lovely work!

Paulalba said...

Thanks BigRedBat,
Very much appreciated!!!
Cheers
Paul

Achilles said...

Great work Paul - as always!

Although I am a big fan of 28mm ever since moving back to Greece I have been extremely hard pressed to find an opponent in 28mm so I am thinking to switch to 15-18mm.

So, I was wondering if you could tell me what kind of bases are you putting your figures on and where do you get them?

cheers!

Achilles said...

oh, and would you mind telling me where do you buy your AB figures? If I am not mistaken you are based in the UK right?

Paulalba said...

Hi Achilles,
I get my bases are from Martin at Warbases here in Scotland (the link is on the left side of my front page) and they are MDF 2mm deep with a laser cut edge. They are very good value and quality (called the premier range on the website) I have picked up my AB's from everywhere, fellow gamers living abroad, ebay and friends who were selling collections, I have also picked up a few from fighting15's but I only use fighting15's for small amounts to finiish units off as the price is now far to high for me. As you are in Greece you maybe would be better either buying straight from Eureka in Australia or the USA? Hope thats of some help Achilles, any more questions let me know.
Cheers
Paul

Achilles said...

cheers Paul! I appreciate it!

I will look into Eureka's postal charges.

Dave B. said...

Paul,

I was wondering if you could give a summary of the base sizes you use? I rather admire them and would like to adopt them for my own 1809 project.

Of course, I may have missed these details elsewhere on your blog, in which case, many apologies and where would I find them?

Brits

Paulalba said...

Hi Dave,
My bases are from Martin at Warbases here in Scotland (the link is on the left side of my front page) and they are MDF 2mm deep with a laser cut edge. They are very good value and quality (called the premier range on the website).

The size of the bases are especially for the General de Brigade rules. The french (and allies with similar structure formations) are based on 30mmx30mm bases. and the Russians/Prussians are on 40mmx30m all artillery bases are 40mmx40m. cavalry frontage is 12mm a horse so a 3 horse base is 36mmx30mm (guard would usually be on 48mmx30mm) and the command bases are on circles and are of various sizes and are 3mm deep.

Hope that helps? Any thoughts or questions drop me a line.
Cheers
paul